Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Edublogs.org / Uniblogs.org


I just wanted to post a link to the blog platform that I have had students use in the past. Edublogs.org (and their companion site, Uniblogs.org) is free, uses an open source blog back end (WordPress), has scads of helpful support forum threads (many by students themselves), and gives them some free space to upload files.

The other nice thing is that there are "Pages" and "Posts." Posts scroll and are good for traditional blog posts. Pages are static and listed in a menu so we used them for portfolio materials.

Here are some examples of student projects from last semester:

http://rddandsecurity.uniblogs.org/
http://jjackson.edublogs.org/
http://kls66.uniblogs.org/

2 comments:

J. James Bono said...

Oh, and there are no ads!

Joel Wingard said...

OK, my project is to begin to develop a blog for the Council of Writing Program Administrators (WPA) Network for Media Action (NMA). This was an idea hatched at the NMA steering committee meeting at C's in April. Specifically, it is to be a "Media WatchBlog" that offers a forum for anyone interested in issues of how college writing, broadly understood, is represented in the mainstream media and in the public mind. And how people in Comp/Rhet especially can "answer back" in a way that would get our voice(s) out there to try to enter the national conversation on writing from a more positive, professional perspective.

So ... this is absolutely a work-in-progress from the ground up. And I know next to nothing about blogs and blogging. (I say, or try to, with no guilt.) So I'm hoping I can advertise within the DMAC community and staff and advisers for someone to sort of take me on for some serious 1-on-1 help w/ getting some kind of decent 1st draft of this blog. I got a tiny bit started today, but I'm not going to be able to work very efficiently all by my lonesome.

Anybody ... ?